Tuesday, April 28, 2009

I have gained 10 pounds...and I got in trouble for it.

So, I LOVE my OB/GYN. LOVE her...but she gave me a bit of a lecture yesterday about gaining 10 pounds so far in my pregnancy. I trust my doctor too but all the books and websites I read about pregnancy say a 10 to 12 pound weight gain is normal at 23 weeks. AND, I have spoken with several new mothers and currently pregnant women who have given me a variety of weights. One had gained 25 pounds by 23 weeks. Another has gained 20 pounds and is currently 23 weeks. My sister who is almost 14 weeks has already gained 5 pounds.

So I wonder...have I really done that bad gaining 10 pounds? I have been pretty careful for the most part, but will admit to you that I have indulged more in the sweets than I normally do.

Here's what I think. I think my doctor is playing reverse psychology on me. She is probably not THAT concerned about my 10 pound weight gain so far, but she is lecturing me on not gaining too much to prevent me from going nuts like many pregnant women do when they are pregnant. I will admit that it has worked so far because she has been stern about my weight since week 6 when I first saw her. I was already overweight before I got pregnant, so the 10 pound increase so far is already taking it's toll on me.

She also told me yesterday that I automatically have to take the 3 hour gestational diabetes test at my next appointment. Yucky. That will be on May 26th. My wedding anniversary. Just what I had in mind to celebrate the day! Ha Ha! It's okay though. I would take that test everyday if I had to and make sure my baby is healthy and doing okay. It's all totally worth it.

But back to the weight gain. As soon as I got home from my appointment I ate a handful of Dorito's just to rebel a little bit. But then I felt kind of bad. For dessert that night, I skipped the cheesecake and had a fat free popsicle when I got home. See? Her lecture is already working.

Now WHO is going to discipline me AFTER the baby is born? I wonder if Dr. Martin is for hire as a weight loss coach?

1 comment:

Mama's the Boss said...

I gained about 35 total, but lost half of that as soon as the baby was born. I am working on the rest now, but it is very hard--especially b/c when I was pregnant I ate everything and anything I wanted!!!