Monday, April 20, 2009

How can people who have never had children shove their advice down your throat?

Other than the overwhelming joy that I feel at expecting my baby boy in August, I have noticed some fairly minor annoyances that come with being pregnant. People's overwhelming need to shove their advice down your throat. Don't get me wrong, if you've had a baby before, I welcome your advice. This is the first time for me and I have a lot to learn. But the other night I was at a party and this woman who had never had children and said she never wanted to have any "rugrats" started lecturing me on breastfeeding and labor. I just sort of looked at her in amazement. She is a good friend of mine, but I wanted to scream at her to shut up. How on earth does she feel like she can give ME advice about what to do? She has never had any children. How could she possibly know and why does she feel the need to lecture me on what decisions I should make for myself? I decided to take the high-road and simply say "thanks for your opinion" and changed the subject. Oh...I love my outspoken friend, but she is treading where she shouldn't tread. Pregnancy hormones are not a joke. One day she may see my bad side if she keeps it up.

So...if you are reading this blog, you might ask the expectant mother "may I give you some advice?" before you automatically push your opinions on her. It's an overwhelming time and there is SO much information to read and to learn before the baby comes, much left after he or she gets here. Don't assume that just because she is a first time mom, she knows nothing. Chances are good, she's already been presented with a ton of advice.

Better yet? Let her know if she has any questions, you would be happy to give her any advice that you can. And leave it at that.

5 comments:

Margaret said...

Oh no..... I hope I haven't put my foot in my mouth in such a way. And if I do, I hope I am set straight quickly. :)

Margaret

Anonymous said...

At least the woman who wanted no "rugrats" knows enough to recognize that she does not NEED children -- and children do not NEED her.

Everyone thinks they have a piece of advice "you" need and feel obligated to share it with you -- I think it comes from the dark side.

Jennifer's Baby Blog said...

I actually want to clarify something because I don't mean women who have not delivered children of their own aren't qualified to give advice about raising children. What I was pointing at with my argument is regarding delivery and things that go along with that. I think if someone hasn't delivered a baby and experienced the internal goings on and decisions that have to be made shouldn't force their opinions on you. That's what the lady I know did that got me all riled up. I know there are many women out there who have not physically delivered a child but are wonderful mothers. And those women are more than qualified to give advice on children.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

This is a wonderful opinion. The things mentioned are unanimous and needs to be appreciated by everyone.

George,

Baby Gear

Unknown said...

I know don't anything about that, by reading reading these blog i got idea.
Baby Gear