Monday, August 3, 2009

Pregnancy Gingivitis.

It's not just enough that your body goes nuts, but so do your teeth! Not everyone suffers from pregnancy gingivitis, but I was one of the lucky ones.

I've had problems with my teeth and gums for most of my life. (Thanks Mom...it's hereditary).
I've made a great effort over the past 5 years to work hard on maintaining my teeth. I go every three months for a cleaning to prevent periodontal disease. My teeth were doing great! Until I got pregnant....

Soon into my first trimester my gums would bleed anytime I brushed my teeth. And anytime I brushed my teeth, I would gag. This was unpleasant.

In my second trimester I went for a dental appointment and she cleaned my teeth for me. That was wonderful! But I don't go again until November, then I'll get back on my every three month schedule.

In my second trimester, the swollen gums eased up a bit but have come back with a vengeance here in my third trimester. Swollen, bleeding gums. Difficult to chew things that are tough. Ugh...I hate it. Hopefully my gums will return to normal after the baby is born. Hopefully.

3 comments:

Mama's the Boss said...

I went to the dentist last week for the first time since giving birth. My gums were tons better--even my hygienist said so. I was surprised because I barely find time to brush my teeth (but I do)!!!!

Jennifer's Baby Blog said...

I'm so glad to hear that! I don't think I've ever wanted to go to the dentist so badly. My next appointment is in November. I may move it up.

Calvin Fred said...
This comment has been removed by the author.